Do you own a YouTube channel? Have you ever wondered why your channel is not getting enough eyeballs despite posting awesome videos? You are at the right place; today, I will give you 12 tips to improve search rankings of your videos and make them more visible on YouTube and other search engines like Google. Implement these suggestions and your videos will attract much more viewers than before.
Here are my recommendations:
(1) Put your main keyword as early as possible in the Title of the video. Many online marketers say title doesn’t matter but believe me—saying this with experience—it certainly helps in achieving better search rankings for desired keywords.
(2) Use maximum 6-8 tags which should be closely related to the topic of the video. First 3-4 tags should contain the specific keywords for which you want to acquire top rank in the search, and then write 2-3 tags based on broad keywords. Putting too many tags confuses the YouTube and makes things difficult for its algorithm to find out the right category your video belongs to and keywords for which it should show your video.
(3) Thumbnail image of your video must not have more than 25-30 characters. Placing more characters than the above limit will make it hard to read and look cluttered, this discourages a viewer to click on your video. Nowadays people don’t want to put too much stress on their minds.
(4) Ask your viewers to like, share and leave comments. Try to get as much engagement as you can. High engagement is essential if you want to perform better in the YouTube search and feature in the recommended and suggested videos sections. It tells YouTube that viewers are liking videos posted by you.
(5) Video description should be long and meaningful. You must understand that YouTube cannot read your video content; tags and description helps YouTube it in this regard. An awesomely written description gives YouTube a fair idea about what a video is actually offering to its viewers. Try to create a minimum 150 words long well written description, include all the main keywords and broad topics.
(6) Your videos should be at least 5 minutes long or more than that. In my experience, 8-10 minutes videos rank quite well in both YouTube search results and suggestions. Although, I would like to clarify that there exists no ideal length. And of course, duration only matters when content is interesting and well made, nobody wants to watch a boring video.
(7) Never use the same color combination in thumbnails and video as YouTube uses in its page layout. Different color scheme will make your video stand out from the crowd and your channel will attract more viewers.
(8) Place the current year at the end of the title, it adds freshness to your video content. Of course, It is not required in all the niches. For example, motivational videos don’t need year to be mentioned in the title, but it is must for videos related to technology.
(9) Use the following words in parenthesis at the end of the title (only when it makes sense): Today, Now, Case Study, Month Name, Fast, New Research, True Story. Anything which is meaningful and add extra value to the title can be placed.
(10) Study the other authority channels in your niche, try to figure out what good they are doing. You will definitely find something to replicate. You can copy their tags to show your videos in the suggested video section of their videos.
(11) Post videos at a regular interval; if possible, it is best to fix exact time and day of the week when you publish a video. Regular videos are necessary to remain in the memory of your subscribers, Otherwise, nowadays with so many distractions people forget things very easily. And YouTube too gives priority to channels that publish great content frequently.
(12) Share your videos on all the social media platforms, forums and big community sites like Reddit and Quora. These sites not only drive traffic and improve engagement but also helps in building backlinks. Quality backlinks are necessary to ranks videos better in Google, Yahoo and Bing.
I hope these 12 tips will help you rank your videos higher in the YouTube search and attract more viewers. To learn more, you should check Youtube creators academy, also visit YouTube official blog to get latest updates.
Learn to make money with YouTube videos created by others.
If you have any other suggestion to improve YouTube video rankings, please post it in the comments. Thank You!