Google shows a wide variety of search results for different kind of queries. And if you are working in SEO industry, it is extremely important for you to know the different types of Google search result because only then you can optimize an SEO campaign to its maximum potential.
Today I am going to discuss the currently available Google search results types and how you can optimize your website for them. I am pretty sure that you may have already seen most of them.
Standard Organic Listing
I don’t need to say much about it as you all know regular organic results contains 10 website listings. You can make a regular organic result more attractive by using structured data.
How to reach there
Just follow the standard on-page SEO process and do some high-quality relevant link building. Use rich snippets code to provide more information and encourage the user to take some action.
For some queries, Google shows a block of images anywhere in between the two organic text listings.
How to show your images here
- Always use original and high-quality images
- The content of ALT tag should be descriptive and must have your main keyword. An Alt tag is used to specify the content of the picture.
- Give every image a proper name, never use only numbers as the image name.
- Keep the images size as low as possible to make them load faster but make sure to not compromise on picture quality.
Sometimes video listings also appear among organic results. The listing shows an image as a thumbnail, the date when the video was published and the name of uploader (or channel name).
Tips to get your videos rank high
- First of all, make an amazing video that genuinely offers value to the viewers.
- Title should be catchy and it must have your primary keyword. Video description should clearly define what this video is going to show.
- Use video rich snippets to make your SERP listing distinct from others.
- Promote your videos on social media platforms and other places to get likes, shares, and comments.
Top Stories or News Block
In Dec 2016, Google replaced the news block with Top Stories. It is a bit difficult to reach here unless you are a big brand or a hugely popular celebrity. This section contains 3 stories with headline and source URL of each story. If you are a small company, it’s better to hire a reputed Press Release distribution service to get high authority news links.
Google shows the most recent tweets tweeted by popular personalities and brands when someone searches them by their name. If you have a verified twitter account with significant numbers of followers—you might get a place here. Specify your primary social media profiles through Schema markup code. It’s a great way to tell Google about your official social media account.
Local Search Results
Getting featured in the local panel can give huge traffic boost. Any local business that serves within a city, area or pin code must optimize their website to get there in the local pack.
Google Map and 3 local listing
Regular local search result contains a Google map and 3 business listings. Users can discover more information—reviews, photos, and directions—by clicking on one of those local listing.
Local knowledge box panel
Generally, Google displays local knowledge box for branded search queries. It appears on the right side of organic listings. The panel includes a photo, map, address, phone, website, opening and closing timings, reviews and ratings.
How to get there
- Claim your free Google my business listing by submitting all your business information such as business name, business category, detailed description, phone number, official website, location on the map and open timings.
- Double check that everything is correct; Google will show exactly the same information as you provide.
- Ask your existing customers to leave a positive review on GMB listing. Genuinely good reviews validate that your products and services are of great quality.
- Build citations and submit business information on other local business directories and industry-specific directories.
- Make sure that each and every business detail is identical throughout all the directories.
When a searcher asks a question in Google search, sometimes Google might show a featured snippet box at the top of organic results. The featured snippet comprises page title, a short answer (extracted programmatically from your web page), link to the webpage and URL. Since featured snippet box receives very high Click Through Rate (CTR), getting your page here can drive some serious traffic to your site. Therefore every website owner must try to get in there.
Below is the example of how a featured snippet block might look.
How to reach
- Figure out which questions your audience might ask
- Prepare content that should directly answer all these questions
- Optimize your page for the relevant keywords
The Knowledge Graph
The Knowledge Graph is Google’s way to connect people, places, and things. When Google launched Knowledge Graph in May 2012, it used to show only static information but now dynamic data also appear if available. For example, it can tell you show timings in nearby cinemas when you search for a particular movie, it can also show the current stock price of a listed company.
Brand Knowledge Graph panel comprises company name, website, description, founder’s names, social profile links and other relevant information.
Getting your business in Knowledge Graph panel
- To get your company information in a brand Knowledge Graph panel is not easy; to be there, you must be an authority in your industry. What you can do to get there: write awesome content and work hard to make your website fully SEO optimized. Use structured data to let Google easily find all the important information about your business.
- Create a Wikipedia page for your brand and put a lot of great content there. It is important to have an excellent Wikipedia page because it’s a major source from where Google picks information.
There are two types of paid Google search results you can build from your Adwords account.
Regular Adwords Ads block appears just above and below the organic search results in the pack of 3 or 4 listings. You can customize an ad’s title, URL, and description from your AdWords account. In addition, you can also show relevant sub-pages and call-to-action buttons within the ad.
Shopping Ads might appear just above the organic listings when a user searches for a particular product. Each product ad comprises a product image, title, price and website name. You will need a merchant center to create shopping ads.
These are the currently available Google search result types, but Google constantly changes the look of its results. So, in order to be always updated, be aware of what’s new happening in Google search.